Thank you for taking the time to look through my portfolio and the work that I have done as an educator. In Australia, we are expected to meet the criteria as set out by the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers.
Organisation of the Standards
The Australian Professional Standards for Teachers comprise seven Standards which outline what teachers should know and be able to do. The Standards are interconnected, interdependent and overlapping.
Within each Standard, focus areas provide further illustration of teaching knowledge, practice and professional engagement. These are then separated into Descriptors at four professional career stages: Graduate, Proficient, Highly Accomplished and Lead.
- Know students and how they learn
- Know the content and how to teach it
- Plan for and implement effective teaching and learning
- Create and maintain supportive and safe learning environments
- Assess, provide feedback and report on student learning
- Engage in professional learning
- Engage professionally with colleagues, parents/carers and the community
Although the above standards are not mutually exclusive, on each page, I would like to showcase my work that I have done in each area. Please feel free to click on the links above which will take you to the AITSL website where you can view the full Australian Professional Standards for Teachers document, but also know that the work is continuous and ongoing (AITSL, 2012).
AITSL. (2012). Australian Professional Standards for Teachers. Retrieved 10 24, 2013, from http://www.teacherstandards.aitsl.edu.au/